Sunday, August 22, 2010

Title Defense

Finally got downtown to check out the new record store. Spoonful Records has been open for about a month and has a very good selection of vinyl. There are also a couple of old pinball machines to play, (for free!) as well as other vinyl related items. The journals that have an old vinyl label as its cover are quite cool.

Brett, the owner, is quite friendly and knowledgeable. He's selling a lot of his personal collection and I hope his stock rotates.

I went in there looking for two records, both of which were lost in basement flood damage. I found George Harrison's 33 1/3 within two minutes. Could not find Warren Zevon's "The Envoy" but I have hope it's going to turn up sooner or later.

He's taking a risk opening in a location that has not been conducive to retail. They guy's a pioneer along with the bike shop next door. I wish them all luck, it's hard doing a niche start up at any time, let alone this economy.

When did movie tickets go up to $9.50? I know it's more expensive in other cities, but that was some sticker shock. We went to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World. I'm not a video gamer, and I had not read the graphic novels, but I really enjoyed this movie. Very entertaining with some very sly wit and visuals. I was all set to write off Michael Cera as the Andrew McCarthy of his generation but he earned a reprieve. I really liked Kieran Culkin in this film, he may be the most talented of the Culkin clan.

Wednesday night is the Writers' Block Grand Slam. Eight poets are going up for the right to represent WB at the IWPS slam in Charlotte in December. It's going to be a tough battle. Seven of the poets have national competition experience. All are hungry. It starts at eight at Kafe Kerouac.

No comments: