Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Doctor, My Eyes

Went to the optometrist for the first time in three years yesterday. A long overdue visit. Being in front of a computer screen all day and too much of the night means eye strain has taken its toll on my vision.

Went to the same place that is giving my son therapy so I knew most of the people examining me.

I'm still reeling a bit after my optometrist said he could find no indication on my lenses that they were progressive no line bifocals. It took three optometrists to see that they, in fact, were, but very poorly made. Makes sense, since the bifocals really did not seem to make any difference in my vision. Not sure if I can go back and complain, since the place burned down a couple of years ago.

I really do not think I've had a decent prescription that sharpened my vision dramatically since the late eighties. I had an amazing pair of glasses in Fredonia which allowed me to see the prices on the shelves the whole length of the liquor store. Those were two inch high numbers. Best pair of lenses I've had in my 44.5 years of wearing glasses.

Unfortunately, they looked like this.



Ah the eighties. Yes, I've kept most of my old frames going back to high school!

Since then my prescriptions have not been quite right. I even had one company change the size of my frames without my permission. Nice job Tuckerman Optical. One of my former customers at the Holiday Wine Shop was an optometrist and he came close in the mid nineties, but not quite. He's dead now. Then there was the quirky but very cute girl at J.C. Penney at the old Northland Mall...

So I get to hand over my current glasses this afternoon as they'll get sent to the lab. I'm keeping my current frames as I like them and they have the wonderful clip on sunglasses. Should be a week of minor headaches and blurry vision using the last pair of frames. The new lenses should arrive by the middle of next week. They're high index, anti-glare, rolled and polished and the bifocals damn well better work as I'm paying a lot for these!

2 comments:

marybindc said...

So can't you take the 80s glasses in and have them find out what prescription that is and use it?

Someone Said said...

My eyes have changed a lot in twenty four years. The prescription will not even be close. It was the one, magic, time the optometrist got one right.