Thursday, April 29, 2010

Almost a Resumption of the Usual

Last night was another Writers' Block preliminary slam for team contention in the National Poetry Slam. The last three slams I have drawn either first or second and have not been able to make it to the second round. Probably more for my lack of quality work than anything else. Last night, I was relieved to draw the seven slot (my Scottish Wife said beforehand I'd go sixth), which put me in the middle of yet another twelve poet slam.

Did a new piece about the recent cow escapes in Central Ohio. It's silly, fun and just want I wanted to do. Threw in a bit of 'Go Dog Go!' and a nursery rhyme and it scored high enough to put me in a third place tie to move on into the second round.

Have to give a shout out to Paula (no, not that one!) who not only cheated death last week but participated in her first slam last night, and ended up in the second round!

Brought out another newish poem about cell phones going off during slam which I did at first draft a couple of weeks ago. It's sinister, and evil, but if you know me you know my feeling toward cell phones. Had no idea how it went over as the crowd was very quiet while I read it. Where they wondering whether their cell phones were on? Were they waiting for someone's phone to go off to see how I'd react? We'll never know.

I stayed in third place, barely, as Louise had a second round charge that nearly overtook me. Congratulations to Vernell and Scott who finished one, two.

The third place point definitely puts me into the Grand Slam, which was a point cushion I needed. There is one more preliminary slam on May 19th followed by the Grand Slam on the 26th.

Tomorrow I will post the 30th poem relating to autism in thirty days. I'll say this April project is about done, nearly ready to put the final one here now. It will wait. It's been an interesting month of shorter poems, a few forms I never would have taken the time to do (thank you Scott and Joanna) had it not been for the support and encouragement of several people. I'm proudest that I did not take the easy way out and do one haiku. Go me!

Thank you all for taking part in this project, and for witnessing a bit of what it is like to live with autism.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

I've appreciated you sharing this month: it's been good to read your poems, and the love and life you've shared has deepened my understanding of that dimension of your (and others') lives.

And congrats on the slamming!

Someone Said said...

Thank you very much J. April has been a very revealing month of writing ability.

The slam was a blast.

BrownSugar said...

Congrats on the points from last night! Sorry I missed seeing Paula slam for the first time.

Someone Said said...

Thanks Teri, I think slam has captured another one!