Saturday, April 17, 2010

You're Scottish, Fry Something

Hope all the poems are not completely tuning you all out.

Went to the Winking Lizard for the first time today. I was not completely sold. For all the screens they had and not one was showing soccer. Come on, Spurs and Chelsea were playing and they had on cheer-leading and women's beach volleyball.

Oh, it's that kind of sports bar.

The draft beer selection was adequate, if not predictable. The bottled beer selection was a bit pricey but there were a few interesting selections. My eyeballs keyed in on a German Berliner Weisse. It's a very rare thing to see in this country so I ordered one. It's not brewed in Berlin, so it's not a true Berliner Weisse. Back in one of my previous lives I actually made a home brewed beer in that style, without having ever tried one. That's how obsessed I was. Did it all grain, if that was poetry, I would have been reading it off paper. I even went mail order for the special yeast and the lactobacillus culture that soured the beer. Yes, it was quite hardcore. Yes, I buried a few bottles in the backyard.

When we got around to trying it, well it tasted quite sour. The color was very pale. A very light beer, low in alcohol. We still had no commercial example to compare it too, it was not until that beer was long gone that a commercial version (Kindl, I think) was available for us to drink here. It was decent, sour, and we had the special syrups and unique glassware for customers. By then the business was starting to go bust and my memory gets a bit fuzzy.

Back to the Winking Lizard though. Had a decent, but not especially memorable burger. Doubt I'd go back, unless I was meeting someone there.

One thing they did have was a large, live iguana.



It's quite the sight when you exit the men's room. His name is Barley.

My Scottish Wife and I avoided the torrents and streaming websites and watched the Dr. Who premiere on BBC America, good cable viewers are we!

I'm a recent convert to the phenomenon, never watched it on PBS or wherever it was aired here in the seventies and eighties. First time I ever saw any of it was in the bar at the Hotel Belhaven in Glasgow on Christmas Day 2008. I think the barman was watching too and Emma noticed it was on and went over to watch. All I remember was some weird cheap special effects and Kylie Minogue's face taking up the whole screen.

What I have come to appreciate and respect is that the show is a huge part of British culture. It's been on for well over forty years and it's now up to the eleventh Doctor. I'll miss David Tennant in the role and regret that I did not see any of Christopher Eccleston's shows. The new guy, Matt Smith, seems well suited for the doctor and Karen Gillian is certainly an eye pleasing companion.



I'm looking forward to seeing what Steven (Coupling) Moffat does with the series.

April's been quite busy with life and writing projects. Sleep has been hard to come by, that's what I should be doing now.

No comments: