Friday, July 30, 2010

Let Me Grab Your Soul Away

Finally got around to watching Crazy Heart last night. I liked better it when it was called Tender Mercies. It's not that I hated Crazy Heart, but the story has been told before. Jeff Bridges did his usual great performance and I'm glad he finally got the hardware. What did put me off was the relationship between the alcoholic country singer and the writer. Maybe it was the age difference between Bridges and Gyllenhaal (60 vs. 33), or maybe it's that Gyllenhaal, despite her lovely baby blue eyes, was a bit out of her depth in this film.

I watched a couple of Robert Bresson films last week to, which alters how I watch film. If it's not in French, with a bummer of an ending, it most likely will suck.

My wife wanted to kill me after we saw Au hasard Balthazar, saying it was two hours of her life she cannot get back. I get that. It's not for everyone. But after seeing this film, you will believe a donkey can act.



It's a bleak film, but the camera work and sound are magnificent.

Kate Bush turns 52 today. Here's a video to send you off on a positive note from a performance during her only tour. She was 21.



So darn sweet when she jumps and waves at the end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song and I love her.

- nammu

Someone Said said...

Look at her arms for heavens sake!