There is a choice of tunes in the car again. Bought one of those cassette adapters all the kids are using these days. The kids that have old vehicles with cassette decks in them that is. Took it out of the package right in the parking lot, popped it in the deck, plugged in the iPod and This Time Tomorrow by The Kinks started playing in the speakers. Nice.
Here's that year end meme that makes the round every year at this time.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Was the driver in a car accident.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Did I make any last year? Do I even want to look?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I was starting to know Jeff Abraxas.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More time to travel. A son who is verbal and toilet trained.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 15th, the accident. Could have been so much worse.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
30 poems about autism in 30 days. That was April. Changed a tire on a cold, November night without wanting to hit anything with a tire iron.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to pull my son into our world
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A bit of vertigo
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A 1993 Subaru, iPod baby. Bedroom floor.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My Scottish Wife.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Those who vote against their own interest
14. Where did most of your money go?
The mortgage, freaking car repairs.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My son when he decides to poop in the toilet.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Winter Winds - Mumford & Sons
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Not much different, and that has to change
iii. richer or poorer? Um, richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Getting in my son's face, writing
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Goofing off online
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my wife, saw Black Swan, then at Jim's watching Doctor Who
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
23. Did your heart break in 2010?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Men of a Certain Age
25. Where were you when 2010 began?
At home, I was at Scott's but left early
26. Who were you with?
My wife, who was recovering from dental work
27. Where will you be when 2010 ends?
At home, but at Dave's before that
28. Who will you be with when 2010 ends?
With my wife and (hopefully) sleeping son
29. What was the best book you read?
Room - Emma Donaghue
30. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Drew Grow and the Pastors Wives
31. What did you want and get?
My wife to find a good job
32. What did you want and not get?
Published. To get on a slam team
33. What was your favorite film of this year?
Saw so few new ones. Toy Story 3
34. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I think I stayed at home and whined about the heat
35. How many different states did you travel to in 2010?
Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania. Blech
36. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
37. What kept you sane?
My job, my son, Emma.
38. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Readers of this blog already know the answer to that question.
39. What political issue stirred you the most?
40. How many concerts did you see in 2010?
Mumford and Sons, Roger Waters
41. Did you have a favorite concert in 2010?
Mumford and Sons
42. Who was the best new person you met?
I'm not sure if I've met anyone who I can say is the best, really have not been close to anyone new to rate them
43. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
I do not think so
44. What was your most embarrassing moment of 2010?
Turning a two minute poem into one that went on for over three minutes
45. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
Changing a tire on a cold November night is not that difficult as long as there is some lighting
46. What are your plans for 2011?
Travel more, to Long Island and Scotland. Write more. Lose some freaking weight
47. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I want to write a message to you every day at ten o'clock in the evening - Belle & Sebastian
2010 was not a bad year. I'm very lucky.