Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tear Drops on the City

The moment I walked into Kafe Kerouac I was asked to emcee a Haiku Death Match. There were four poets, three judges, and me. A few more people did show up.

Later I did the feature. My time on stage benefited the Writers' Block Poetry Slam team for their trip to the National Poetry slam in Boston this August.

For posterity's sake, here's my set list.

To the Women in my Spam Folder
Pantoum for a Child with Insomnia
To the Poets Young Enough to be my Children
Isotopes of Despair
Gaythiest
Jim Morrison's Twitter Page
What Should be Done in my Absence
Started While Flying Over Cincinnati
Days of the Week is I was Emperor
Naismith Laughs
If Tracy Can Emulate Joel, I can do this. That's the Title
Spam Folder of Love

A mix between the old, new and recent. Dusted off the last poem, only read that once in the last two and a half years.

In the news tonight is the death of Clarence Clemons. With his recent stroke and other medical problems it's not unexpected, but still quite a loss.



He was an integral part of the E-Street Band. The Master of Disaster. The King of the World. Saw them in Buffalo during the Born in the U.S.A. tour. Jungleland was a standout memory. During his sax solo Bruce controlled the crowd during the wave. This was when the wave was still new, and not cliche. A powerful rock and roll moment of my life.

This clip is from Buffalo in November of 2009, the last show the E-Street Band as we knew it will play.



Rest in Peace, Big Man.

No comments: