Thursday, July 22, 2010

No One Received a Score of 2.3

There's something to be said about the topic du jour during a poetry slam. Some nights it's about domestic violence, some divorce, some nights there is no theme at all.

Not last night.

I told my Scottish Wife before the draw that I'd get the first or second slot and I was right. I drew second.

In preparation for this slam I pretty much had the poems I would be reading in mind, and in order. So when Ethan started off with a poem about LeBron James I was in a bit of a quandary for, you see, I had already planned on using my LeBron James poem in the first round as the poem I wanted to use in round two I did not think would be the right fit that early.

Thought about switching for a second, then said screw it and took the risk. So I did the second of two LeBron James poems coming out of the gate in a poetry slam and did well with it, even scoring a few notches higher than the first LeBron James poem.

We all sail through round one. I end up in fifth place overall.

Joanna reads second in round two and guess what she does? That's right, another poem about LeBron James. It goes over well.

I read an older poem, one that mentions a certain malt beverage without actually naming the item. It's a younger crowd and I'm not sure the kids are getting the references, but I can definitely hear that some people were getting it. But when I was done Scott came up to me and asked what that was about? Dude's heard me read it before, in a slam. What?!?

Weird happenings all around.

I'm having fun, so I sidle up to Louise and offer her a dollar if she reads a LeBron James poem. She shows me the poem she was about to read. Oh well.

But wait, I then see her scribbling something and I'm thinking, nah, she's just doing some small editing, adding a line or two.

Turns out, she was editing LeBron James' name into her poem. So the place is going nuts, I throw the promised dollar at her, Vernell throws keys, it was a great night!

The tally.

Four poems about LeBron James.

There were sixteen poems read in last night's slam. 25% of the poems mentioned LeBron James.

Of the four poets who wrote about Lebron James only one of them, Joanna, earned points by finishing in second.

The winning poet, Rachel, did not do a poem about LeBron James.

Only two IWPS qualifying slams remain. I got to get my butt in gear or it's going to be a like a Super Bowl champion not even making the playoffs the following year.

No comments: