Monday, July 19, 2010

Taking Calls...

My wife informed me about the death of local radio personality Andyman this morning. I never met him, but his personality, and voice, were everywhere in this city. He'd been a part of the radio scene for almost twenty years.

I remember him when he was the PA announcer for the Ohio State Hockey games. He messed up the pronunciation of Mike Komisarek's hometown. It's Eye-Slip Terrace not Is-lip!

On at least one New Years Eve, he was lowered by a crane at midnight, wearing only a diaper. He did a lot of good for local charities, raised a lot of money and awareness. He loved Columbus, owned a bar that had a tree growing in the middle of it - he was a local version of Falstaff.

He lost a lot a weight, started a family, had three children and will be a voice that is going to be hard to replace.

Over the weekend he drowned while on vacation.

Life is too short. Rest in peace, Andyman. You're missed already.

2 comments:

BrownSugar said...

I was saddedned to see this news on Spike's Facebook last night. I never met Andyman, but living here the last 4 1/2 years, I heard him plenty. Life is much too short.

Someone Said said...

It is too short. He seemed to live his life to the fullest. Damn shame he won't be able to see his kids grow up.