Sunday, July 4, 2010

Snooking in the Heat

I'm not really a reader of true crime books, but occasionally I'll jump at one when it crosses my desk.

Gold Medal Killer is about a notorious crime that happened in Columbus in 1929. In short, a respected Veterinary faculty member of the Ohio State University and a gold medal winner for pistol shooting in the 1920 Olympics was having an affair with a woman half his age. He ended up killing her at a shooting range at the corner of Fisher and Dublin Road.

Many details of their sex lives were exposed at the trial, and it was a the scandalous trial of the day.

James Snook was convicted of the crime of first degree murder of Theora Hix and was put to death in the electric chair. For sixty five years, the location of his body was kept secret. The rest of that story is here.



How many times can you say you have seen the grave of an Olympic gold medalist who was executed? And right in Columbus.

I think the story is more interesting than the book, and perhaps an author with more talent could have told it in a better style. Gold Medal Killer is worth seeking out though for its capture of an era of Columbus history.

While at Greenlawn, near the Snook grave, I noticed this juxtaposition.



My wife thinks it would be even funnier if I were fifteen again.

No comments: