Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Livin' is Easy, Fish are Jumpin' and the Cotton is High

Summertime for my son is about to end. Tomorrow is the first day of third grade. I've got a few forms filled out, his backpack filled with supplies that a Staples franchise could use, and have sent a note and email to his new teacher.

Now, to see how late the bus will be in the morning.

We had some more errands to run after we got up, and they included a visit to Schiller Park.



He went up the hill a couple of times, hit the swings, went up and down the slide, took a lap or two around the tennis courts and did not complain when we had to leave!

We were hanging out in the early afternoon. He was on he laptop, I was sitting in the green chair checking Facebook when the floor began to twitch, it felt like someone was hitting the back of the chair - as if there was a loud truck or car with an enormous sub-woofer passing by. But there was no vehicle in the road. This went on for about 10-15 seconds. My son looked over at me with a 'what is this Daddy?' look.

I immediately posted to Facebook that I thought I felt an earthquake and the site lit up with confirmations from many of my friends on the east coast in Southern Virginia all the way up to Poughkeepsie, New York.

That was the first time I had been aware of an earthquake, and I did not like it. I cannot imagine going through one that is more powerful, and of longer duration. That unsettling feeling I had this afternoon was plenty enough, and I'm glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt.



No comments: