Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Grand Slam 5/25/2010

Last night at Writers' Block was the Grand Slam to determine placement on the National Poetry Slam Team.

Poets gathered. There were nervous poets, relaxed poets, all kinds of emotions involving pre-slam jitters.

What stood out as people entered the room at Kafe Kerouac was that there was something different going on. The MC of the night, Joanna Schroeder, was wearing a dress, she did her hair - and was that lipstick?!?



It was great watching people's reactions to seeing her from a distance. The best being when her own cousin did not recognize her. You know you've changed your style when your own kin fails to know who you are!

After a brief and well performed open mic, in which Joel Yeager continues to astonish, it was time for the slam.

I drew the fifth spot out of eight, which put me at ease and went on right after Scott Woods' captain of the slave ship piece.

I have not done After Birth since the Beauty Vs. Brawn fundraiser last year and like them I went off paper. It was the first time I had gone off paper at Kafe Kerouac. I heard some good-natured mumbling about that before I started. It went well. Had to cut a couple of lines because I was worried about time and got the third best score in the round - with Rachel Wiley in first and Scott in second.

Round one said goodbye to Marshall Brown, who has come so far in his work this year. He'll be back.

In round two I did Nobody's Poet, the start of which I cannot memorize for shit, but once I get through the first few lines I've got down. I played on stage with this one. Shifted some tone, used the hands. It is as close to a personal statement poem as I have at this time and I got it across even if the judges were not as impressed as the audience. At the end of the round I dropped to fourth with Rachel, Scott and Ethan Rivera in the top three slots.

We said goodbye to Gina Blaurock after the second round, but never forgotten.

So I'm in fourth, in the final team slot if I hold my position and I end up doing a piece I've only performed once in public. Juan Valdez's Burro Speaks is my version of a persona poem. Unfortunately I use an accent that makes me sound as if I'm doing a bad, bad impression of Cheech. It is a funny poem and I'm not doing an accent on a poem by, say, a matador who just got gored in the mouth by a bull's horn. I'm still working on the voice of that one, and it will never again be the voice I used last night.

At the end of round one Vernell was in seventh, but she used her experience, sideboard and talent to storm up the field and end up passing me and Scott Woods to come in third place overall. Scott came in fourth.

I missed making the team by .1.

Yes, it was that close. Thing is, I would not have been able to go to Nats, so it all worked out for the best.

It was a Hell of a night. Everyone left it out there on stage.

Here's the Writers' Block 2010 National Poetry Slam Team.



It's a diverse quartet of youth and experience that will go far in St. Paul.

Have to make note of J.G., who came in sixth place. I really did not know much about him before he started slamming this year. Whenever he's on the mic he makes me pay attention with his work.

What a great team slam season it was. I'm sure that I'm leaving a lot out, it's not deliberate.

Now it's time to defend my IWPS title.

3 comments:

Scott Woods said...

Yes, an awesome season. Every slam was a winner to me. So many lessons learned!

BrownSugar said...

I swear I thought I had stepped into an alternate universe when Joanna greeted me at the door.

Joel continues to rock my socks everytime he reads. We only grumbled about you being off paper because you were stepping p your game son!

What a great night and an awesome Nats team!

Someone Said said...

They were positive and supportive grumbles I heard Teri!

Plus, it was the only slam in history that, thanks to Rachel, had two mentions of premature babies!

Eva not recognizing Joanna is a keeper.