Thursday, May 6, 2010

Holding My Brush as Best as I Can

The city, hell, the world has lost a fine artist.

I did not know Jeff Abraxas very well. He was a good friend to several of the poets at Writers' Block and had only recently started coming to the night. We were Facebook friends, we played Scrabble. When we talked he was incredibly supportive and positive. Then, a few weeks ago, he got sick. He called us from his hospital bed and Vernell read a poem he had just wrote. It was for us. We all cheered him and wished him a speedy recovery.

He died today.



If you've been to the Lincoln Theater or have traveled down Long Street in Columbus you've seen his murals. Colorful, historical and full of life. I understand he was always drawing, using pen, marker, pencil, whatever he had at hand. I think he was in the corner during Scott Woods' 24 hour reading, sketching the dawn.

He left a lot of empty canvases. I'd like to think he left them for us to fill in.

He's gone way too soon.

Rest in peace, Jeff. Thank you for your short time with us. You gave us much to be inspired by.

Go down Long Street. Start at Zanzibar, then head east to Urban Spirit and see the art Jeff left for us to appreciate, and the portraits we shall not forget.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Thanks for making me aware of this loss, and my condolences to you and the folks of Poets Block.

Someone Said said...

Thanks. I only knew him a short time, but he had a profound impact on the community he served.