Friday, May 28, 2010

June is Going to Be Interesting

My son had some pre-testing done yesterday for his Sensory Learning Program and Vision Therapy last night. He's getting used to being in the new space (it was his third time there) although he was a bit restless during the hearing test. He has some tolerance for wearing headphones, but not so much in the doctor's office.

The doctor also wanted to see how he'd react to wearing the yoked prism glasses. I've been working with him a little bit at home with frames, to positive results.

There was no resistance from my son at all when the doctor put them on. He started running around the room while the doctor made observations. He put different types of lenses on him and my son gave no protest, he even seemed eager for the lenses.

At one point, right after he put the glasses on, my son stood there, something was clicking inside him, and said, "I want high five." Which was something he has never, once, asked for. It took us months to get him to give us high fives.

I'm not sure where this therapy program is going to take him, and all of us. That said, if my son was having any negative reaction to wearing the glasses, at all, he would have taken them right off and resisted any further attempts to put them on him.

Starting on Wednesday we take him to the doctor's office for twelve days straight, then weekly. I'm very skeptical about many types of so called 'alternative' therapies, but when you see your child stand there with a new thing on his face and you can feel something flowing through him that never has, or see him walk around a room with an increased sense of awareness of his surroundings - there's something to be said for something that is not the tried and true.

1 comment:

BrownSugar said...

Interesting sounds good so far. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for N and you this coming month.