Friday, April 8, 2011

Music Running Free

Day Eight - A song you know all the words to.

Man, I don't have my own poetry memorized. It's hard for my brain to memorize stanzas, choruses and shit. It's never been trained to do that.

I'm sure there are a lot of songs I can sing along with easily. Maybe I'll skip a word, or be slightly behind following along as I sing in the car (yeah, I do that sometimes)

Committing a song to memory. Pain in the ass.

For a brief, horrible, moment in high school, I was the lead singer in a band. It was 1980, a sucky year that ended a decade of suck. A year that would end in a pile of suck. My friend was in a band. I hung out with band. Did their sound. Relationships formed. Relationships broke up. There was high school drama. There was adult drama. Sound equipment was hidden. Fistfights and body slams happened, more punches were threatened in a parking lot. Van Halen blasted out of a van. Somewhere in there I was given a microphone.

It did not work. I had less stage presence than singing ability and even less of the confidence needed to fake it.

I know where the band is now, and no, they're not getting back together. Most of them are on Facebook, except the bass player. I have no idea what happened to him.

There's a tape of me singing this song, but it's hidden behind traps that would kill Indiana Jones. Don't ask me to sing it a capella, ok.

4 comments:

BrownSugar said...

Tell us how you really feel about 1980 Ed. LOL

Someone Said said...

1980 took the gaspipe!

BrownSugar said...

You know I had to go look up what that meant. The Gas Pipe is a string of head shops in Austin, so I was confused at first. ;-)

Someone Said said...

That was college.