Friday, April 22, 2011

Sad Songs Say So Much

Day 22 - A song you listen to when your sad.

So many choices, so many eras of sad.

A lot of Beatles have been played, that was high school.

I really was not sad in college, just bat shit crazy.

In the eighties and most of the nineties I was in a trance. Kind of like college, with less pot and more alcohol. There was some sadness amidst the awkward late teen age years

Elton John's "Elton's Song" off the little remembered The Fox album was a sad unrequited love long.

John Hiatt's "She Loves the Jerk" was sad, but not sad enough to make the embedding.

The heavy sad kicked in around 1997-98. Playing XTC in the five disc changer and staring at the ceiling until it played out.

Maybe that was not quite sad either.

The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow) by The Jam is one of the saddest songs ever written by a 24 year old.

No one sings sad like Traceyanne Campbell of Camera Obscura. She's not sad enough to make the cut though.

Then there was the crazy, and yes, sad time of 2006-07 when I'd be driving around playing this song on repeat. It does not have much relevance to me today, but it brings me back to a time when I was sad, dripping emo out of my poetry, with no real regrets other than being too sad too publicly.

No comments: