Thursday, April 7, 2011

Our Music Changes Through the Years

A song that reminds you of a certain event.

I'm going to stray away from events in my life because there's something in my head that is bigger than that today.

On July 13th, 1985 I was walking down Clinton Street, a dead end street, to my job as WBUZ, a now defunct radio station that was in a double wide trailer. Pretty sure I was working the afternoon shift until sunset, when the AM radio station shut down for the day. I had my first Walkman on and was listening to the radio. Live Aid was being broadcast, and it was on every radio in the town it seemed. I remember hearing the Led Zeppelin reunion at Pizza, Wings and Things.

I'm still not sure if I actually saw Queen live that day on television or on the rebroadcast later than evening. Twenty six years of time blurs events sometimes. Watching this takes me back to that warm, sunny, Saturday afternoon. This is one of the greatest live rock performances you will ever see. Freddie Mercury not only owned the crowd at Wembley Stadium that afternoon, but the world.



He's still greatly missed.

Just realized right now this was just over two weeks before my first wedding, that blew my mind.

1 comment:

BrownSugar said...

This song reminds me of that same day. Alex was 10 months old and we drove way down to south KC to our friends Alan & Tony's farm. The tv was set up in the yard and we barbecued and played bridge all day while following the broadcast. He was amazing that day!